Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Bad Mom

I absolutely hate when women sit around talking about their "bad mom moments." It seems so defeatist. I honestly have a hard time believing that any mom who actually takes the time to consider whether an act has an impact on her child is anywhere near a "bad" mom. Sadly it seems we can't just accept our best, love our kids to pieces, and move on. Instead we rehash all of our shortcomings, berate ourselves for the simple failures of everyday parenting, and self-deprecate all over the place.

Today I was once again thinking about how lame a mom I am for not having a baby book for my son. Sure, I've taken a million pictures of him, and written endless Facebook updates about his newest achievements in the exciting world of baby development. (Much to the chagrin of all of my non-parent friends, I'm sure!) But there's no baby book, people. Really. I have grand plans though, and hope to at least crank out a decent photobook with his monthly pictures and milestones. OK, so I'm not entirely sure of what specific day he said his first word, but I sure as hell remember it, and where he was sitting, and what he was wearing, and how my heart nearly exploded from the pride and excitement. I guess that's the trade off. I may not be Martha Stewart-moming it with my scrapbooked baby book that perfectly coordinates with his handmade nursery bedding, but I am there, present for every moment, big and small. Maybe even better than a perfect baby book will be the stories I will tell him as he continues to grow and change and become the wonderful little man we're seeing glimpses of.

1 comment:

  1. This is the first time I've seen your site, having read a comment you left on another blog. Although I'm actually not a mom, I got sucked in by your writing - and also your philosophy. Although a non-mom, I want to speak up for your friends who may not be as chagrined as you think, at your stories. Also, Facebook, blogging and the like? They ARE the baby books of now. You're doing great. Thanks for sharing on your blog. I'm glad I found you...

    ReplyDelete